Firefall Forums

Red 5 transfers domains away from GoDaddy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluecewe, Dec 23, 2011.

For those of you who don't follow Grummz, the CEO of Red 5 Studios on Twitter, around 10 hours ago he announced that Red 5 will be transferring it's domains (such as firefallthegame.com and red5studios.com) away from GoDaddy in response to a recent statement by GoDaddy in which they state that they endorse SOPA. (Stop Online Piracy Act)

Godaddy's position on SOPA has now been reversed, presumably in an attempt to control the damage their decision has caused in recent weeks. Special thanks to SpringField for this.

For those of you unaware of SOPA, it's probably a good idea to make yourself aware. TotalBiscuit, a British videogames commentator explained it quite well over here. In short though, it threatens the openess of the web and in a worst case scenario could allow copyright holders to essentially take down sites such as YouTube or Facebook for copyright violations caused by users of those services.

You can view Grummz's tweet here.
    • Like x 39
    As I cannot like Grummz tweet I will like your post instead!
    Sorry Grummz ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. JBWill Community Coordinator

>
    For those of you who don't follow Grummz, the CEO of Red 5 Studios on Twitter, you should totally get on that! :p

Good on them though, I like seeing people take a stand in regards to things like this.
    • Like x 5
    hmmm, any rumors yet on where the new domains will be transferd to ?
    SOPA needs a serious rewriting. The articles presented in the currently proposed bill are too vague and misleading. I support anti-piracy, but being able to shut down any website for even one complaint and massive copyright protection that doesn't even let people create AMVs for their favorite things anymore is just taking way too much freedom from the internet.

Glad Firefall and :red5: is against it :cool:
    • Like x 5
    Great move :red5: Stuff like this only makes me appreciate the work you guys do even more..

If more people would react so quickly, legislation like SOPA would only be present in works of dystopian fiction where it belongs
    Bravo to Red5 for doing this. It warms my heart that it is not only citizens who are standing up against the SOPA but also companies are putting forth their dislike of the bill through different means. If theres enough of a reaction from the community then hopefully the bill will be changed and we wont have to put up with a dictatorship of the internet controlling what we see and when.

Bravo, Red 5, Bravo!

-CheeseMeistro
    i luv you r5
  9. Ironheart Beta Vanguard

Meanwhile, EA, Sony and Nintendo are funding SOPA.

With the money you paid them.

That's what "voting with money" means, in reality.
    Is it because they produce console games more?
    I don't have a twitter account, so thanks for posting this.

Hopefully all these efforts to raise awareness of SOPA pay off. I've heard it's still getting some rewrites, but I'm not convinced the Act will get enough clarification to remove the significant concerns.
  12. AgentSmith5150 Beta Commando

I support SOPA.
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
    *Slaps AgentSmith5150*

Even joking about it should be a crime punishable by forced seppuku!
    • Like x 2
  14. skyydragonn Founder

Cencorship of the web is such a moronic idea. next Copyright holders can start locking people up and fining them for wearing logo'd T-shirts or hats with copyrighted images on them in public. Sounds stupid, probably becuase it is. Its about as stupid as the SOPA bill.
    • Like x 2
    Yeah, SOPA is some seriously bad stuff. We just moved all of my company's sites and e-mail accounts away from GoDaddy too. And we had a couple hundred domains registered with them. XD
    If it's forced, it won't be seppuku anymore. I suggest Bukakke instead.
    • Like x 4
    *facepalm*

You missed my point entirely. I wont drag the conversation out in the hopes more people can see this thread and let us know what they think about this move from Red5 and internet users in general.
    So where are some people moving their domains to?
    SOPA and Protect IP are possibly the dumbest bills i have heard of, and i applaud Red :red5: for moving away from GoDaddy. If SOPA and Protect IP go on the books we may as well say good by to other freedoms we take for granted. I am whole heartily against piracy but these bills MUST NOT go on to books, if they do it wont just be america that feels the effect it will be the entire world.