Red 5 fights for Firefall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grummz, Jun 25, 2011.

>
    Dear Firefall fans:

As you may have heard, Red 5 Studios has filed for arbitration to confirm our right to terminate our agreement with Webzen and recover $5 million in North American marketing that we feel is due Red 5 under the agreement.

The crux of the matter is that the Webzen we see today is not the Webzen that Red 5 partnered with at the beginning of this project. The original executives are all gone, and new management has replaced them. Unfortunately, we do not feel the new management of Webzen has honored their obligations towards Firefall, particularly in Asia. The current management of Webzen is a stark contrast to the original CEO and executives who were once so excited to work with us on the game.

To date, Red 5 has been shouldering the burden of marketing in the US by itself, without assistance from Webzen. We will continue to do so and extensively ramp up in the process. You will see a lot of activity coming from us to promote Firefall on the web, tradeshows and other media. A lot of it is very exciting indeed! While we would rather have Webzen as a supportive partner in these efforts, we do not believe that will occur.

In the US and Europe, we will continue to develop, market and operate Firefall. Unfortunately, in Asia, what we feel is Webzen’s lack of motivation leaves much to be desired in our opinion. We regret that Webzen’s actions, or lack of actions, are causing undue stress among Firefall fans in Asia and elsewhere. By seeking a termination of the agreement, we hope we can find a better way to ensure that Firefall reaches everybody in Asia in the manner that gamers deserve.

As you know, we are in a period of intense disruption in our industry. We are again in a gaming world where small, independent developers can make a difference. We intend to make that difference. We intend to stand up to Webzen, a large Korean publisher, and show them we expect developers to be treated fairly. Please join us, and show your support. It really helps.

Thank you,

Mark Kern
    CEO, Red 5 Studios, Inc.
    • Like x 44
    Day-um. I know this goes without saying, but I'll pledge my extensive NERF weaponry to your cause.
    • Like x 2
  3. JBWill Community Coordinator

>
    Thanks for telling us about the situation Grummz, you can bet you'll have our support the whole way through!
    • Like x 2
  4. FadedPez Community Programs Manager

>
    +1 for being behind Red 5 and Firefall all the way.
    • Like x 2
    I wish you well guys. Well to be more technical I wish both Red5 well, and hope that the Asian population that are interested/excited about this game will also be able to get their chance to play it.
    Well you guys gotta do what you gotta do. You guys have my support. I'm sure you'll find another way to get it availible in asia.
  7. skyydragonn Founder

Oddly enough I had my doubts about Webzen for a long while. they dont seem to care much about western companies in the asian market.
    That being said Grummz, exactly HOW can we the (soon to be) players and community as a whole help support Red5 while this goes on?
    Also what sort of impact is this going to have on development? Litigation takes money and I'm pretty sure Red5 doesn't ahve the unlimited resources that say EA or Bioware would have in this sort of situation. I know you guys can only say so much to us publicly, but the more transparent you are, the more receptive the community will be to your cuase.
    • Like x 2
    You know what they say...If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. It's proven true so far.
  9. Derkas Master Blaster

You're alright in my book, Grummz. If I could, I'd sell off everything, move to some strategical location in Asia and promote the melding out of Firefall.

Edit: Just went to their website and didn't even see Firefall listed anywhere. I went to do a search, which isn't easy to find mind you, and this is what I found:

I Would be so surprised if some company doesn't want to invest on asian markets where copyrights are joke.
    yes the market share is huge but it is gonna be lost very soon due cheap copies.

such shame thou...
    Hi Red5, I will do whatever to support your guys!
    What does this mean for China Joy if I may ask? If the Asian market has dropped off or at least been put on hold for the time being are you planning on still going?
    I never really have liked Webzen. I hope you guys sort this out! Best of luck!
    • Like x 1

Is this the News we have all been waiting for?!

i appreciate the information though man..Good work keeping the community in touch
  15. Jirue Lieutenant

Doubt it.

Anyways, thanks for informing us Grummz. Lemme know if there's something I can do to help show my support like signing something. Till then I'll continue to sit on my hands and wait semi-patiently for more news from you guys on the game.
    • Like x 1
    This is what I love about firefall the devs are honest they arent trying to cover up what happened there to other audiences (i.e. non-Asian crowds) and still are looking forward to the future. A little more info on the dispute might be nice but then again is not necessary. But the question remains is the future of asian gamers (and for australian gamers if the servers are based in the oceanic region for asia) and that huge market of gamers (+1 for no gold farmers tho :D)
    How can they not understand the FireFall greatness and Red:red5: brilliance !?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Our Asian friends r always welcomed on the US and EU servers(from what I understand there will be no IP blocks)till this mess is sorted out.PvP might be a bit problematic but PvE should be a blast.
    We don't want webzen we don't need webzen we don't like webzen.
    Thank you Grummz for sharing all this information with us. I will be more than happy to support Firefall and Red5 in this matter and I'm sure the rest of the community feels the same way.
    Not much I can do besides saying I'll support you guys :)

Good luck, Red5!
    I wish I could win the national lottery for you guys :) But I can't :mad: Anyway, you have my total support. :red5: FTW!