Firefall Forums

Assault Let's Build: The MIRV Firecat

Discussion in 'Battleframe Discussion' started by Ced23Ric, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Introduction & Goal.
    The idea here is to get the most out of Bombs Away, which is nowadays a rather usefull ability. While it does work a bit like a shotgun (high damage to one target up close, low damage to many targets at a distance), with proper crafting it can provide even more AoE to the already AoE-heavy Assault class. As Bombs Away has a relatively fast drop-off, the primary range of this frame is rather short, which needs to be assisted by the rest of the modules.

The goal is to have answers, as with most frames, and with a rounded-out selection of parts, this can be achieved fairly well. While the constraints make it hard to put three abilities on the Assault, some concessions here and there allow us to have that without being crippled to the point of mediocrity.

As for ores used, if you didn't grab some of that Ferrite 772 that was with us until yesterday (13th of November 2012), no worries - you can use other ores, just have to make it fit given the constraints. Maybe the new Ferrite 257 allows for more printing because it is lighter, too. Regardless, try to go for as many bombs on the Kisuton Bombs Away as possible.

2. The Build.
    A quick run-down of the requirements:

Basics:
    • Tech Level: Tier 2
    • Frame: Assault Class, Astrek Firecat
    • Unlocks needed:
      • Astrek Multicannon
      • Astrek Ammo
      • Kisuton Bombs Away
      • Astrek Crater
      • Accord Afterburner
      • Astrek Plating
      • Kisuton Jumpjets
      • Omnidyne-M Servos
    Weaponry:
    • Primary Weapon: Astrek Multicannon (Ferrite 772)
    • Primary Ammo: Astrek Ammo (Ferrite 772)
    • Secondary Weapon: Accord SMG
    • Secondary Ammo: Astrek Ammo (Ferrite 772)
    The weapon suite is pretty straight forward. The Multicannon is versatile by definition, offering in this configuration 9 shots dealing about 430 damage each, or 27 shots, dealing around 190 each, in a rapid stream of bouncy plasma goodness. The sidearm is picked because of it's higher RoF, large clip, higher DPS, low weight and hip-fire friendliness. With DPS of roughly 700, it's fair enough to quickly dispatch single targets where the Multicannon would be too slow.

Abilities:
    • #1: Accord Afterburner *
    • #2: Kisuton Bombs Away (Ferrite 772) *²
    • #3: Astrek Crater
    The Afterburner gets the frame around, helps to cross distances, get out of a tight spot or prepare a Crater. Because the range of Bombs Away is comparatively short, a printed Afterburner would probably overachieve - we rather save on constraints there. The cooldown is still only 15 seconds. Bombs Away is our primary skill, either to saturate an area, clean up a Thumper or burst a single big target. Crater is in synergy with Afterburner, but situational - thusly, unprinted will do the trick.

Other:
    • Reactor: Accord Reactor
    • Specialty: none
    • Plating: Astrek Plating (Ferrite 772)
    • Jumpjets: Kisuton Jets
    • Servos: Omnidyne-M Servos (Ferrite 772)
    The Astrek Plating helps with surviving the short range engagements, the Kisuton Jets recharge faster than Accord Jets, and the Omnidyne Servos help us sprint faster in case Jets or Afterburner are down. The added jump heigt helps to hop up, aim down and release Bombs Away in a tight pattern.

*: Can be switched for Omnidyne-M, but as it's unprinted, the difference is neglectable. Constraints dictate.
    *²: We're going for as many bombs as possible. Ferrite 772 gives us 16x70 = 1120 damage.

3. Playstyle
    Basically, it plays like your usual Assault, but a bit closer to the targets. You hop around, jet around, fly around your target area, and shower hostiles with Plasma and Bombs Away. When up against large groups, throw in a Crater after Bombs Away softened them up, and when facing single targets, the SMG it is. In essence, pretty simple and straight forward. As Bombs Away is fired in a sequence, a quick flick of the wrist allows to lay down a line instead of a circular explosion, too, to take out a chain of smaller bugs.

With Afterburner equipped, this makes for a fairly good floating frame when running multiple Thumpers with 5 people. Being able to cover ground quickly combined with the Multicannon makes the Assault good for that task anyway. Given the various AoE sources, this frame can defend a spot pretty well, too, although it is a bit behind on single-target damage. The Multicannon and SMG help to mitigate this, but it has to be kept in mind.

This is how I play my Firecat - and it proves to be quite fun and efficient. :)
    • Like x 7
  2. Owlkin Arc Runner

Sounds more or less how I do Firecat, and it's probably my favorite frame in the game so far. The things I printed were all of the abilities, plating and primary ammo. It makes me not be able to get around quite as well when Afterburner's on cooldown, but it's down to 10 seconds or so. As well, I absolutely love Crater, and the cooldown on that is around 24 seconds. I feel like I take a hit there, but I use it as often as I possibly can, and because of that, I find that I have so much damage on-demand nearly all the time that it's rediculous.

I've been recently trying other combinations, but I think this one has been my favorite so far. I'll keep trying though, since I'm always looking for something that's slightly better.
    Hate to be picky, but the only Afterburners available to the Firecat are Accord and Omnidyne.
    Might also consider Kisuton plating with the Ferrite 772. ~10% damage reduction for a bit less regen.
    *snap* What I meant. Corrected it, thanks for pointing it out!
    As for the Plating: Astrek /w Ferrite 772 give 10.2% DR, +80ish health and +18hp/s regen. Kisuton gives 12.2% DR, +130ish hp and 13hp/2 regen. A matter or preference and constraints - Kisuton is 100kg heavier, and weight is the first constraint to bottom out, followed by CPU.

Now, if there'd be something to do with all that power ...
    • Like x 1
    excuse, crater.....? seriously?
    There's not awfully much you can put on that slot otherwise. The alternatives are kinda derp, tho I do like Shockwave more than Crater myself. (SW is more "reliable")
    SW is freaking awesome I must say, atleast for pvp it's definetely better than crater. I do believe this built is more focused on PvE itself.
    ... let me add that, then.

It should be pretty obvious from Crater, but, yes, it's a PvE build.
    I use build very similar to this one, though I mostly do PvP. Switch out the crater for SW and you have yourself a cute little Assault nuker build.
  10. Criterion Founder

Awesome! This is the kind of stuff I like to do. I like to look at builds and see how they can be tweaked and optimized even more.

Lets compare...
    Bombs away with
    Ferrite 772 gives Dmg 68.29, Dur 7.04, Wt 646
    Coralite 45 gives Dmg 68.33, Dur 7.49. Wt 634

for this you add about 3 secs to the recharge for almost a half second longer duration with a slight weight savings. Now, I have not played with Bombs Away since it was initially nerfed so I'm not sure how many, if any, more bombs that would give, along with the longer recharge.

Here I think is a good example of not just throwing away whites to get crystite :).

I might look at the other abilities later in the day.
    • Like x 1
    ... I think I didn't use Ferrite 772 then, because I have 70dmg. :D
    I think the bigger question is, why did you post this in the general forums and not the assault forums?
    Valid input. I'm still used to the Beta forums being seperate from the rest. I'll report the post for a transfer.
  14. Owlkin Arc Runner

Would it be worth it to use some Blue Brimstone over the Coralite? It takes up a bit more resources for me, but it has this:

Damage: 71.54 Duration: 7.48 Weightt 733kg

Nearly a hundred kg more, but there's a little extra damage in there.

Also, my Coralite's at 37, so it's even slightly worse than that.
    At the end of the day, if you can make it fit, go for it!
    I like it! I would swap out the crater for shockwave as others have said but crater is goodish for PvE ... when it hits where I am aiming that is.
  17. Criterion Founder

It would be more damage (I found many ores that gave more damage or more duration.. or both, but were heavy), I think the biggest issue is if you would have the 100kg free to equip it. Here is the balancing act in motion, just as :red5: intended :). It has occurred to me that this is a proper fix to cookie cutter build issues in other games. We can get some idea of what we'd like to prioritize, but it is going to be hard for someone to come in and simply copy what someone else has done, either in part or whole.
  18. Owlkin Arc Runner

For sure.

...I decided to do something completely different, and drop down to two skills (Bombs and Afterburner), and print... Nearly everything else. Printed Astrek Multi-Cannon, Kisuton AR, primary ammo, jets and servos. Now, I feel incredibly mobile, with still some good firepower.

Crater is great damage, but I find that I don't need it most of the time. I can simply dodge and float and keep doing that same damage over time, without risking being in the middle of it all. And I love the jets and servos. They really make gonig just about everywhere infinitely better.
    I cannot see it in my firecat tree, but I must be blind... :oops:
    You should have the Accord, Astrek, Kisuton and Omnidyne-M Plasmacannon, which can be crafted as Plasma (Scattershot) Multi (Triple Shot) Cannons each. At the end, you get either the Omnidyne-M or the Kisuton Nova Cannon, too. It's deffo there, mate. :)
    • Like x 1