Firefall Forums

Firefall\system\bin\steam_api.dll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaine, May 9, 2013.

What does it do?:)
    [IMG]

And knowing is half the battle.
  3. Shadowyc Black Cats

It basically lets you use Steam in-game.
    Yes but what does it do in Firefall?:)
  5. Shadowyc Black Cats

Shift+Tab = Open Steam in-game. That's it.
    The steam overlay doesn't need access to an API to open itself over your game. It's an overlay and that's literally all it does. It lays, over your game.

The steam_api.dll looks to me (though I'm not a programmer, the answer is pretty obvious) like a basic API for average Steam-game functions like connecting to servers, viewing your friends list, regular checks between the Steam client and your game (SteamAPI_* functions, SteamApps, SteamClient)

This doesn't have anything to do with the overlay itself. The overlay just attaches itself to the game itself through the DirectX/OpenGL/Whatever output or whatever the word I'm looking for is.

But maybe I'm totally wrong, I could be. Maybe that file was planted by Steam itself to load with the client so the overlay does actually work.

But assuming it's not, Red5 DID have possible plans to work with Valve to get on Steam a long time ago, but that didn't work out for a lot of reasons.
  7. Shadowyc Black Cats

Huh. The more you learn. lol
    Try deleting it and see what happens! :D
    • Like x 1
    I opened Firefall and tried to delete it while it was running.

[IMG]

Firefall IS using it for something at least.

Then launching Firefall again after deleting it

[IMG]

... Hmmm.

Why would it require something like this to launch? Seems kind of odd to me.
    Is it possible, that Firefall Open Beta will be available on steam?
    It's highly unlikely as Red5 had already looked into having Firefall on Steam but due to Steam's financial implementation of "Free to Play" games it simply wouldn't of been profitable for Red5 to take that route.

So, no. Unless something out of our control changes a lot within the next few months, it's been looked into and isn't a possibility.