Firefall Development Update - November 8th, 2013

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Phobos, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Phobos Producer

Hello Firefall Fans,

Welcome to the latest edition of the Firefall Development Update. This week you really get to see behind the scenes of what it’s like to be a game developer. You get to see that sometimes, the only update to give is that things continue to move forward. Over the past week the team has been hard at work implementing all of the things that we talked about in our first development update weeks ago.

[IMG]

We’ve made a lot of progress on technical designs to support new features along with implementing that technology into our servers and tools so that we can begin building the content. We’ve also made significant progress on our wandering encounters that we spoke of two weeks ago and we expect to have a few of them in the next patch cycle.

One of our major goals with this milestone was to clean up our creature database to make sure that the same types of creatures were following the same types of behaviors. Throughout the week we were able to deprecate all duplicates and unused copies of creatures so that the team can now begin cleaning up the behaviors, animations, and abilities that those creatures have. It’s not pretty work, but all of this goes towards our primary goal of releasing a quality product. We are better able to control bugs with creatures when there are fewer copies of that same creature in the game.

We’ve also made tremendous progress on a new feature for the game that will allow us to string together multiple encounters with branching trees all wrapped up in a loose narrative structure. The goals of this system are to provide multi-step quest-like missions that take players through a session of gameplay. So if you don’t know what to do when you log in, you can participate in one of these and get 30-60 minutes of gameplay where you’re exploring the world completing encounters with special voice overs and stories that help put context into the missions that you’re completing. It’s a very nice system and once online, should provide designers and writers an excellent tool for creating content in the world.

You may have noticed that limited inventories are enabled in the latest patch. The limit is set to 8 million right now with the expectation that no one should be hitting that limit (the highest player isn’t even close to this limit). We pulled data based on active users and have an idea of what we would like the limit to be and how we’d like it to work, but we’d like to spend some time internally testing those ideas before sharing them to make sure we’re not way off-base. We plan to release item salvaging and the prestige system mentioned last week before turning limited inventory on at any reasonable levels.

That’s it for the update this week. We continue to roll out additional bug fixes and content as it comes online every two weeks, so keep playing and sharing your feedback. Be sure to also let us know what sorts of consumables and calldowns you might like to see in this thread on our forums. Thanks for continuing to help us make the best game we can.
    • Like x 37
    I could really get behind multiple stage events, just hope they have some unique stuff rather then just waves of drop pods or something.
    • Like x 4
    SALVAGE!!!
    • Like x 3
  5. skamage Commander

Firefall Hotsauce grenade - causes mobs to start puking and reduces accuracy.
    • Like x 6
  6. Stimpy77 Apex Predator

"We are better able to control bugs with creatures when there are fewer copies of that same creature in the game."

control teh bugs .. I see what you did there. -.o
    • Like x 1
  7. Daed Unbroken

Is that an lgv in the picture?
    Keep up the good work, fellas!

Be sure to keep us posted on improvements being made to the current gear deterioration system, as this is the primary reason I haven't been playing.
    So if you don’t know what to do when you log in, you can participate in one of these and get 30-60 minutes of gameplay where you’re exploring the world completing encounters with special voice overs and stories that help put context into the missions that you’re completing

I like this and believe it will add something new and exciting. Right now anything new is exciting but this will make it fun to log in and jump into missions.

As far as adding something new for calldowns, i think adding a portable printer bay or something like that. maybe 15 min CD. we spend so much time at the printers we are not out fighting chosen or exploring. Its always a bummer to stop the group and go back to a city to load up the printer. Something like a Summoned bot like a pet that you and squad members can load up maybe 2 max slots per squad person. When loaded the pet runs off to the printer. Maybe incorporate the tanken random capturing your bot and you gotta go get it back and get rewards and badges. Just a thought.
  10. Andur Field Marshal

It's a player riding an LGV and getting ambushed by Tanken Assaults.
    One of the things those of us who have been around for a while desperately need is a way to dump old junk from our inventory that is clogging it up. I have a listing of 1006 items at this time, but at least 100 of them are things I should have been able to get rid of ages ago. Things like:
    Shanafelt's LGV beacon
    Melding Acolyte keys
    amplifier crystite cores
    early versions of Melded DNA processing (Ex. Complete DNA Plasmatic Fraction)
    Beta Crystite
    Refined Chosen technology
    excess TEX leashes
    Ratchet's Thumper beacon
    And so on.

Purging a lot of this from the DB would not only make it easier on players, it would be that much less strain on the servers. Make this a priority to get done before your next major update.
    • Like x 8
  12. Vidrak Commander

Sounds good, can't wait for more stuff to do in-game.
  13. Ronyn Commander

14. Dakirn Unbroken

I would like to see calldowns that are reusable but are toggled on/off.

For example an amplifier that had a cooldown when toggled on would increase run speed multiplier by X% but decrease damage dealt by Y%.

There are a lot of possibilities for these. I'm not sure if the tech exists or would be hard to add. This could open up other possibilities such as rechargeable consumables (that you could combine in a Printer recipe to recharge the effect). It could also help cut down with the massive stacks of mosquito wings or adrenaline glands we have.

I do a lot of running around and movement and I'm not always using abilities. It would be nice to have temporary toggles that we can switch out (with cooldowns) to enhance what we're doing at the time.
  15. Harven90 Unbroken

Nice!, hope to see a new patch for the PTS soon :D
    • Like x 1
  16. KRIZZLE Founder

Yes its the one from the old $100 starter pack. Funny angle though.
  17. Ragnarz Barricade

This is already in-game . . . it is called Spicy Al's Tuna and you have to have a "special" relationship with Al to get it.
  18. Fooni Apothecary

Make Rainbow Flares. Go!
    • Like x 1
  19. Omnires Skullbane

Pheromone bombs.
    Use the aranha and thrasher glands to make specialized weapons that would make near by wildlife change their behavior.

For example, refining aranha glands to make a swarm bomb. If I'm in an area where aranha are common I can use the bomb to make aranha attack things I hit with it. So if I was to hit a group of Chosen with an aranha pheromone bomb, aranha well start to attack them and mostly ignore everything else. Although if and/or when the aranha kill the Chosen that was hit by the bomb they'll switch targets to next nearest enemy, this includes you.

Pheromone weapons would also go well with some Biotech and Recluse abilities as they spray gases over an area.

As you can guess one of my fav things about this game is watching animals attack each other and tricking them into attacking the Chosen for me.

Or just make a new frame that focuses on things like mind/behavior control of animals, :p lol
    • Like x 3
  20. Vintagevandal Herald of Decay

Bring on that mission variation! Would be nice to feel some Dynamicness to my events and the roaming events as usual sound exciting.
    • Like x 1